The Good Stuff

Friday, December 30, 2005

Good Boy

Is what I tell my dog when he trots over if called. Or doesn't poop in the flowers.

For a writer, there are many 'good boys'. "We like your work, but can't pay you." Good boy.

"Congratulations, you're a finalist. Unfortunately, we're not equipped to pay our writers." Good boy.

"We'll offer exposure--a place to show your writing." Good boy.

It's too bad I can't cash 'good boys'. Wouldn't my mortgage company have a nice laugh if I sent them an envelope full of good boys?

My dear, sweet friend Audrey commented to me today (and didn't even know she'd helped me by her statement) "Money is supposed to flow TO the writer not AWAY from the writer."

And she's right. I've made money selling articles and essays in the past. I just need to refocus on the fact that writing is my career of choice and my time is too valuable to settle for 'good boy'.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:06 AM, Blogger 1blueshi1 said…

    Hey Sonya! Thought I'd stop by and see what you've been up to. You are right about the news, nothing positive seems to make it on there and it is so depressing to watch. Here in Birmingham there seems to be a new mother/couple jailed every night for beating/burning/neglecting/abusing/killing her/their child. I can't watch anymore.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home